Here is how to download and install the OTA update of iOS 15 beta and iPadOS 15 beta on your iPhone or iPad over the air. This is the quickest way to flash the latest iOS beta release to test new features and improvements to the official operating system.
Now that the WWDC 2021 keynote is done, all eyes are on the first round of beta updates. This means developers registered with the Apple development community program can proceed to download and install it.
Here is a step-by-step guide to download the new iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 betas on iPhone and iPad over the air without losing your current files, apps, and settings.
Download And Install iOS 15 And iPadOS 15 Without Losing Your Apps, Files, Settings Via OTA Method:
Anyone with an active account in the Apple developer program is authorized to initiate the beta update over the air. Although we would suggest that you install this beta on a device you have reserved for testing purposes. Since this is the first iOS 15 beta things could turn south, due to unforeseen reasons.
That said, there are several possible routes to begin testing iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 beta. You can perform a clean install but it veers toward a technical side of things. Or, you can download the firmware update over the air, the most convenient of methods for sure. If you go with the latter, the relatively simple process saves you the hassle of fiddling with cable and computer to get things ready for installation. Moreover, since there is no requirement of using Xcode either, average users can easily finish downloading without having to implement complex steps.
However, before proceeding, bear in mind that you will need a functioning Apple Developer Program account ID. It costs $99 and you can sign up for one here. Also, make sure that the device you’re using to install this beta works with the iOS version.
With a compatible device ready, and an active Developer account secured, follow the steps below to download the new beta update over the air, without needing a computer or connecting cables.
Before starting, ensure to backup your device data using iTunes, Finder, or iCloud.
- Step 1: To enroll your device in the Apple Developer Program, head over to developer.apple.com/programs/ on your iPhone or iPad and sign up for a new account. If you’re an existing member, skip this step and move to the next one.
- Step 2: Log in to your account using your credentials.
- Step 3: Go to the Download section.
- Step 4: Now, look for the iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 beta and hit the Download Profile button to confirm your selection.
- Step 5: Here, you’ll be asked to authenticate your profile and restart the device to let changes take effect.
- Step 6: After the reboot, navigate to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Step 7: Wait for the new beta update to show up for download and when it appears, simply tap on Download and Install button.
- Step 8: All done.
It is important to note that due to a great number of people downloading the update simultaneously, there is a chance of download delay or failure. So wait a while to let the load on servers ease out a bit before retrying.