Here are 4 methods to fix This copy of Windows is not genuine error on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista and XP. This issue is common with the pirated copies of Windows operating system. After a few months of using the copy, you might start seeing this error on your desktop screen from time to time. Sometimes, when you see This copy of Windows is not genuine your screen goes blank immediately afterward. If you are looking for an easy Fix error This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine, you would find this article helpful.
Before starting, please note that the solutions explained below do not covert your non-genuine copies into genuine. They simply make Windows think that the copy is genuine so that it can keep receiving all the official security updates and bug fixes from Microsoft.
If you want to avoid this headache, there is a link to buy the official OS from Microsoft Store. Avoid purchasing Windows OS through third-party vendors, because many users have complained that they had paid for the original copy only to see This copy of Windows is not genuine error. If you have been on the receiving end of any such problem, instead of wasting more money follow the methods explained below to get the genuine status back and start receiving official updates.
The main reason behind this error is using the non-standard version of Windows not officially licensed by Microsoft. It is important to keep a genuine Windows status active because if your operating system is outdated, it could be kept up to date with regular updates. However, this is not possible if Microsoft doesn’t recognize your Windows copy as genuine.
Not having the most recent updates installed could leave your computer vulnerable to threats such as malware, hacking, viruses, ransomware, and other online or offline attacks. Worse still, when this error shows up, your desktop screen goes blank with the error message plastered on it which you can’t change. Windows will deny you access to certain facilities until you fix this problem.
This problem related to the windows genuine status creates following issues:
- Your desktop wallpaper will change into a black screen which you cannot change.
- Your PC or laptop will be open to online and offline threats.
- You won’t get official updates from Microsoft.
- The battery life suffers as a result of this error.
We are now going to discuss ways to easily fix Windows is not genuine in Windows 7, 10, 8, 8.1, Vista and XP. The following methods work on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 as well. Apply each method one by one until you find the one that works on your device.
These are the best methods to fix the problem of windows is not genuine.
- Uninstall/Hide Update KB971033
- SLMGR-REARM Command Method
- RSOP – Resultant Set of Policy Windows Method
- Disable Updates
Theese solution can be applied on the following version of the Windows operating system:
- Windows 10
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Windows Build 7600
- Windows Build 6002
You can also try it on Windows 3.1, but their success is guaranteed. Now let me explain how to fix This copy of Windows is not genuine on PC and Laptop.
Method 1 – Uninstall Update KB971033
Microsoft pushes an update number KB971033 to ascertain the genuine status of Windows operating system. If you are getting the error “this copy of windows is not genuine,” this means your Windows has an update file which is designed to detect pirated copies. You must uninstall the update which detects whether you’re using the original Windows copy or a pirated version. Follow these steps to uninstall it.
- Launch Control Panel.
- Head over to the Windows Update section.
- Select View Installed Updates.
- Once the installed updates list uploads, find the update number KB971033 and remove it from your device. Or right-click on the update to hide it. Hiding this update won’t show it in the list of items included in the cumulative Windows Updates in future, which also eliminates the risk of accidentally selecting and installing it along with other update items.
- Restart your computer to let the changes take effect.
That’s it. If you don’t see the above mentioned update on the list, there is no need to uninstall anything, move to the next solution.
Method 2 – Try “SLMGR – REARM” Command
- Click on Start, select search and type cmd. In the search result list, open Command Prompt (as admin). On Windows 10, right-click Start and select Windows PowerShell (Admin). Make sure the Command Prompt is open as an administrator otherwise this method won’t work.
- In the prompt, type SLMGR -REARM. (SLMGR tool manages Windows operating system license. Whereas REARM command resets the computer’s license status.) Hit enter when done.
- Wait for the command to execute in the background.
- Now restart your Windows machine.
This it. Hopefully, you will no longer see This Window is not genuine error again. In case this method doesn’t work, give using SLMGR /REARM command instead.
SLMGR -REARM works mainly on 32-bit versions of Windows OS. It may work on 64-bit Windows OS but its success is not guaranteed. In that case, use SLMGR /REARM command.
Mostly this command works like a charm. However, in a certain rare case, if it didn’t perform to fix the issue, this is due to the maximum allowed number of rearms has been exceeded on your device. This results in the Error 0xc004d307 or it simply shows that slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command.
You can fixes these issues by following these steps:
- Open Run dialogue box (press Windows key + R keyboard shortcut), type regedit,exe and hit enter or click OK button.
- Now navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > WindowsNT > Current version > SoftwareProtectionPlatform
- Find SkipRearm and click modify.
- Change the data value from 0 to 1.
- Restart your PC.
That’s it. This should resolve the issue otherwise see the next solution.
Method 3 – RSOP – Resultant Set of Policy Window
Here are the steps to fix the Windows 10 is not genunie error:
- Open Run dialogue box, type rsop,msc and hit enter.
- Go to the following location: Windows Settings > Security Settings > System Services.
- Click Plug And Pay from the options in system services.
- Right-click on it and find Startup and Click on Automatic.
- Now open Run and enter this command: gpupdate/force.
- Hit enter and restart your PC.
This would resolve the problem in most cases. If not, see the next fix.
Method 4 – Disable Updates
On pirated Windows copies, you are not authorized to receive the official updates. Therefore it’s better to keep them off otherwise you will keep getting the same error over and over again. If you leave the update option enabled, any one of the new updates could detect the genuine status of your OS. Here is how to do it:
- Go to Control Panel > Windows Update.
- Select Install updates automatically (Recommended).
- Now, click Never Check for Updates (Not recommended) and hit OK.
If you still see the black background, change it in system properties. In case the problem remains, reinstall a fresh copy of Windows on your device.
The above methods have worked on different computers with varying degrees of success. One of them would surely work on your device after which you won’t see This copy of Windows is not genuine error again.
Always keep your operating system updated and use the genuine copy for maximum protection against harmful threats and viruses.