It is not as straightforward to simply logout of Facebook Messenger application. The process takes a bit of workaround to accomplish as the social network giant wants to keep its users on the platform for as long as possible. If you’re an Android or iOS (iPhone) user, here is what you can do to exit Facebook Messenger easily on your smartphone. Facebook Messenger is the first choice of Facebook users to communicate with their friends and family on the social network. But to log out of the messenger app, you are required to perform a few extra steps, as explained in the tutorial below.
Facebook Messenger app offers a range of tools that add an element of fun while interacting with others. Like WhatsApp, you can add friends, family members, create or join groups of shared interests. Facebook integration means users can quickly retrieve and share their information from the main Facebook account on the Messenger application. To round off the overall communication package, it supports videos and clips sharing with contacts.
Facebook pushes its users to install its official Messenger app as well on Android and iPhone as it helps enhance user experience with related services. Both the apps use the same user account to keep the process seamless. However, sometimes you may want to use another account or simply want to log-out of the existing one when it is not in use. Users are like exit Facebook Messenger when closing the session because they don’t like “Active” showing next to their status all the time, which may not be ideal if you can’t reply instantly (you know what I mean, right?). So it is better to fully log out of the Messenger app to disable Active status.
By default, there is no easy way to just logout of Facebook Messenger. In the settings menu, you will see options such as Security, Switch Account, etc., but not logout. Deleting the app is not the solution either. So after trying a few tricks, we have managed to find a successful method to exit the Messenger app on both Android and iOS devices.
Here is how it is done.
Exit Facebook Messenger On iPhone
- Launch the main Facebook app on your iOS device.
- In the lower-right corner of the app interface, tap Options, and scroll down to select Account Settings.
- Now in Accounts Settings, tap on Security.
- On the Security menu, tap Where you’re logged in.
- This will pop up a list of all the services and platforms where your account is currently active.
- Locate the Facebook Messenger session and remove it.
- Once done, open the Messenger app which will no longer be logged into your account.
- That’s it.
Logout Facebook Messenger On Android
On Android, the method is slightly different. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Settings of your Android device.
- Next, tap Application Manager or Applications.
- Now head over to Applications > All Applications or Running Applications.
- Scroll the list down until you reach the app names starting with the letter M and select the Messenger app.
- In Messenger app settings, tap clear its data. On Android 6.0.1 or newer versions, tap Storage > Clear Data.
- This will delete/delink your account from the Facebook Messenger app after which you will need to log-in again.
- You can then use a different account to use with the app.
- That’s all.
I hope this would be of help to you in signing off from your Facebook Messenger account on Android and iOS devices.