Here is a complete guide on how you can install stock firmware on Huawei phones. If you own a Huawei or Huawei Honor device, this tutorial is for you. Huawei uses its own custom-built user-interface on top of Android firmware, also known as EMUI – Emotion UI. Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd develops the EMUI firmware for its smartphones and tablets. Just like Xiaomi devices come with their own stock version of Android, the MIUI, the EMUI is the main operating system on Huawei and Honor phones.
Huawei EMUI Stock Firmware
Huawei released EMUI based on the Android operating system back in 2012. Since then the company has produced several low-budget devices on its way to becoming the second large mobile manufacturer in the world. There is a sizeable global population using Huawei phones.
In this case, to continue receiving the official OEM support, security patch updates, device stability improvement features is only possible by installing the stock firmware. You can install stock firmware on Huawei or Honor phones in two ways. Here is a tutorial on how to revert back to stock firmware on Huawei or Honor devices.
- Take a full backup of your device data and save it on an external storage device to recover later.
- Make sure that your device has over 70% battery charge at the time of starting the flashing process.
The two methods below explain the steps required to flash stock firmware on rooted and non-rooted Huawei phones.
Disclaimer: Unlocking bootloader/rooting involves complicated steps and may end up causing harm to your device. Therefore, it is always recommended to create a full backup of your device. Ardroiding cannot be held responsible if anything unexpected happens to your device.
Install Stock Firmware on Huawei / Honor Devices
Here are the methods to set up the official operating system on Huawei mobile devices.
- Honor 6X
- Honor 7X
- Honor 8
- Huawei P Smart
- Huawei P8 Lite (2017)
- Huawei P9
- Huawei P9 Lite
- Huawei P20
- Honor View 10
- Huawei Mate 9
- Huawei Mate 10
If your device is not mentioned in the above list, you can still apply these methods.
Method 1 – Flash Stock Firmware On Huawei Phones Using dload (No Root Required)
- Download the stock firmware and extract its zip files. To download the stock firmware of Huawei or Honor phones, visit Huawei Firmware database page.
- In the extracted folder, select update.app file and move it to a new folder in an external location.
- Grab your Huawei phone and open the phone app. Dial *#*#2846579#*#* to access a hidden menu.
- From the menu that appears, tap on Project Menu, then tap on Software Upgrade > SDCard Upgrade.
- Now, select the file from the location where you saved it in step-2 above.
- Wait for the installation is complete and restart your device to let the changes take effect.
All done. You have installed the stock firmware on your Huawei or Honor phone without having to root your device. But if you’re using a rooted Huawei phone, see the steps in the next method.
Method 2 – Flash Stock Firmware On Rooted Phones
Using Huawei Recovery Updater
This method is made possible by an XDA member zxz0O0.
- Ensure that your device has the bootloader unlocked and TWRP installed on it.
- Huawei no longer allows its users to unlock the bootloader after June 22, 2018. If you’ve already got the bootloader unlocked, this method won’t work for you. So refer to the first method above.
- Download the following files: HuRUpdater Tool | Firmware Files
- Move these files to a folder in your external memory. It is recommended to keep the recovery.img file in the same folder if you want to keep custom recovery.
- Now reboot your device into recovery mode.
- Flash HuRUpdater.zip through custom recovery.
- Reboot your device once the installation is complete.
That’s all. These are the best ways to install stock firmware on Huawei and Honor phones. I hope this article helped you in this regard. Let us know what you think about these methods in the comments section below. If you want to add more to the information provided in this article, please share your views in the comments.