In this guide, you’ll learn how to disable notch on Pixel 3 XL smarpthone. Apple introduced the notch with its iPhone X in 2017. Since then the concept has spread like a wildfire as Android manufacturers have also started to design handset with the top-notch on the display. Google has finally jumped on the notch bandwagon as well.
The unsightly notch on Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL is no longer a surprise as you might have seen it during the launch event. However, unlike on iOS, there are some tweaks available on some Android handsets that can disable or hide the notch on display, such as on the Poco F1 and Huawei P20 Pro. Whereas Google isn’t offering any such facility in its Pixel 3 smartphones for reasons we don’t know yet. So here is what you can do to hide the display notch on your Pixel 3 XL.
Hide Pixel 3XL Notch
Follow these steps to make the notch disappear on the Pixel 3XL phone.
- On your Pixel 3XL, go to Settings > About Phone.
- Scroll down and quickly tap eight times on the device’s ‘build number’.
- Now enter your device PIN/password/pattern (Face ID or fingerprint won’t work) when you see the prompt “you are now a developer”.
- Return to the main menu in Settings.
- Scroll down until you see Developer Options.
- Locate ‘Display Cutout’ and toggle the switch to off.
And there you have it. You won’t see the notch on Pixel 3XL. What this setting does is it disables the pixels in the notched area. This results in the loss of some screen real estate. So the icons for signal strength, WiFi and battery bars will now show underneath the blacked out area. There are other third-party apps that offer more while hiding the notch. Of course, the main preference would be to avoid a phone with the notch on it, but that is increasingly becoming a rarity.