Here is how to fix common issues with HBO Max not working on Roku devices in 2022. HBO Max on Roku is a highly sought-after online video streaming service. But the official HBO Max service on the Roku platform is still missing. But users can stream their favorite HBO movies and TV shows in high-quality snappy streamz.
However, some reports say HBO Max may not always work on Roku. Users can face several technical problems that may interfere with streams working correctly.
In this guide, I will walk you through the most common issues that result in HBO Max not working on Roku and how to fix them.
How To Fix HBO Max Not Working Issue On Roku:
The following are the leading causes behind HBO Max technical issues on Roku, along with the solutions to resolve them permanently.
Restart Your Roku Device And Reboot Modem
First of all, before we go to the more technical troubleshooting methods, it’s always better to start with restarting your Roku device to see if it addresses the issue.
If it’s still not working correctly, try to reboot your modem to reset the internet connection back to normal. In most cases, a simple restart or reboot fixes the frequent disconnection issue.
To begin with, physically remove your Roku streaming stick. Once done, re-install it perform a hard reset.
Otherwise, navigate to Settings > System and select System restart.
- Mobdro Not Working: How-To Fix Connection Error On Any Device 
- Swift Streamz APK v2.0 Latest Version Free Download Link 2021 – [Live TV Streaming App]
- Windows 11 ISO 32 Bit / 64 Bit Download, Features, System Requirements, Release Date, And More!
- Windows 11 ISO Direct Download Links [32 Bit, 64 Bit] Complete Setup Guide
- How To Install Dolby Home Theater For PC Windows 
- Download OnePlus Music Player APK For Android Devices 
- Download Official Xiaomi Service Tool 2021 Version [ Latest ]
- Download POKEMON UNITE For PC Windows 10 And MAC 
- Install Spectrum TV App On Firestick Amazon Devices In 2 Minutes
- Sky Go On FireStick And Fire TV Guide To Install Latest Version 
- Samsung TV Plus APK MOD Android Download Link Latest 2021 [100% Free TV App]
Update Your Roku Or Upgrade Your Device
The HBO Max only works on devices running Roku 9.3 and later. Therefore, you need to upgrade your device to use a Roku 2500 model or older. Any Roku device not receiving the latest updates would struggle to play HBO Max unhindered.
So, to update Roku, grab your Roku remote control and press the Home button on it. Then, select Settings. Afterward, head over to System > System Update and check for updates.
If your Roku model is running operating system version 9.4.0 or higher, but you are still not getting HBO Max service, contact Roku support to seek help.
Disconnect Your VPN
Since HBO Max on Roku works only in the US or some US territories, you need an actual IP address linked to a United States server to access the service.
So, if you reside in a location that the service provider does not officially support, it leaves you with using a VPN tool to hide your IP address.
That said, it also leaves you open to encountering an error message. In such cases, try to disable your VPN software and see if you watch HBO Max on Roku afterward.
Reinstall The Channel
Uninstalling and re-adding the HBO Max app may work to fix bugs and glitches. Here are the steps:
Step 1: On your Roku remote, press the Home button.
Step 2: Go to Streaming Channels and launch the Channel Store.
Step 3: Find HBO Max and hit the OK button on your remote.
Step 4: Once that’s done, select Remove channel and confirm your selection.
Step 5: That’s it.
Some users have confirmed that the following workaround worked for them.
- Launch the HBO app on your smartphone.
- Navigate to Settings > Devices.
- Sign out of all your devices.
- Then, remove the HBO Max from Roku.
- Now, restart your device.
- After the reboot, reinstall HBO Max.
- That’s it.
Sometimes Roku saves the record of your old HBO login information. This instance warrants signing out of all your devices to clear the record. So without logging out, the new HBO Max channel will keep crashing.
Another solution pertains to unsubscribing from HBO. Then uninstall the HBO channel and restart your Roku device. Now add the HBO Max channel again.
Use Search To Find The Title
In some cases, using the search function to find the title works like a charm instead of the home screen.
One thing to note about this workaround is the lack of access controls. Only four commands are accessible: Pause, Forward, Backward, and the 7-second replay. The close caption and the HBO Max menu are missing.
In addition, move the cursor slowly across the menu. Wait for two or three seconds between each action and selection. According to many users, using this simple trick helps avoid frequent crashes.
- To begin, go to your Homescreen and select the HBO Max channel.
- Next, you need to press the asterisk button on your remote control and select Remove channel to remove the channel.
- In the end, restart your Roku device to clear the cache. That’s it.
Hopefully, the above methods will fix the HBO Max Roku crashing issue. One more thing, some users have noticed HBO Max taking up more RAM and CPU power on Roku 3500 or newer models. If you’re one of them, there is no other way but to wait for Roku to develop a unique app version that automatically dumps cache before HBO Max launches.