Here’s how you can connect Apple AirPods with Android phones to use on devices other than iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. As is the case with most Apple hardware, AirPods are designed to function only with iOS and macOS devices. However, it is easy to pair AirPods with Android devices including smartphone and tablet as detailed in the guide below.
Worldwide sales numbers indicate that Apple’s AirPods have managed to delight users with their audio quality and overall functionality. In fact, Apple Watch and AirPods are two devices that are showing no sign of slow down in sales. Amid the declining iPhone sales, these hardware accessories help Apple recover lost ground in terms of revenues.
If you are concerned about the drop of voice quality on Android devices, then you would be pleased to learn that there is no such issue because AirPods work mainly through Bluetooth technology.
How to Pair AirPods with Android Devices
The W1/H1 chip inside the AirPods ensures that the hardware works seamlessly with Apple’s devices. But this by now means discounts the possibility of using them with Android. Here is how to connect AirPods with an Android phone.
- Open the AirPods case and ensure the wireless earbuds are ON.
- Now on your Android phone, open the notification drawer. Then tap and hold on the Bluetooth button to go to the Bluetooth settings.
- Make sure to enable the Bluetooth discovery option.
- Next, on the AirPods charging case, press and hold the Pairing button which is located at the back side of the case. The light indicator should turn white to show the feature is ready for use.
- After this, a notification should appear on your Android device showing that the AirPods are ready to connect.
- That’s all. It’s not a complicated process at all.
Knowing how easy it is to pair AirPods with Android, many heads at Apple must be rolling in displeasure. That said, using these wireless AirBuds with iPhone, iPad, Mac or Apple Watch shows the battery life of the device due to a seamless integration between Apple’s devices, which is something not available when used with Android hardware.
To get around this little hindrance, download a useful app called AirBuds Popup for Android from the Google Play Store. This app shows the battery level of connected AirPods on a slick interface.